These Healthy Chicken Tacos are a great option for lunch or dinner. They’re easy to prepare and are great social meal for when you have friends or family over. This recipe is a bit on the spicier side as it uses chipotle peppers. Chipotle is a smoke-dried jalapeño commonly used in Mexican dishes. Although this recipe calls for spice, you can adjust the level to your liking, or leave it out all together.
As an athlete it’s important to eat meals that fuel your body and that have a healthy balance between carbs, proteins and fat. This recipe provides you with a decent amount of carbs and protein, however you could add some sliced avocado if you want to add a healthy fat option.
You can omit the corn and black beans if you want to lower your carb intake. If you’re wanting to up the veggie serving, I suggest serving the tacos on a bed of iceberg lettuce.
This a great recipe to make if you have any leftover chicken from the night before and would go great served alongside this delicious homemade salsa.
Be sure to check out this easy recipe to see how to make your own dill pickles a home.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dill pickles (and 60ml of the pickling brine)
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup adobo sauce with finely chopped chipotle peppers
- ½-1 cup of BBQ’d corn and/or black beans (optional)
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- Baby coriander leaves to serve
- Iceberg lettuce to serve (optional)
- 8 small tortillas or 4 big ones
- Mix cabbage, pickling liquid, salt and pepper in a bowl (slaw).
- Mix chicken, adobo and chipotle sauce, corn, black beans and syrup in separate bowl.
- Heat tortillas for 30 seconds in microwave.
- Place slaw, chicken mix, and dill pickles in the middle of the tortillas.
- Top with sour cream and coriander.
- Serve with homemade salsa (I recommend this recipe HERE).
Feel free to add any other toppings you like, avocado and cucumber are great options!
This recipe was inspired by Donna Hay.