As an athlete, taking care of your body is vital. Being able to nourish it with healthy food will allow that you perform and train at your best. A big part of being an athlete is knowing what goes into your body and avoiding foods that carry lots of empty calories. Usually from processed foods. Cooking at home is a great way to ensure that you’re fueling your body with nutrient rich foods and you can do so while being budget friendly.
This recipe is super simple, it’s cheaper than buying sun-dried tomatoes from the store and it has the added benefit of allowing you to adjust the flavor based on your own taste preferences. Sun-dried tomatoes are nutrient-rich and are a source of fiber, potassium, magnesium as well as vitamins A, C and K.
The prep time for this recipe is less than 10 minutes. Then you can sit back and relax while the oven does the rest of the work.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Seasoning of your choice (this is optional and can be changed to your taste, I used rosemary and oregano)
- Olive oil (if you’re planning on storing them)
- Pre-heat oven to 250 °F/120°C.
- Slice tomatoes lengthways and place sliced side up on a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt (be careful not to go overboard) as well as any other seasoning of your choice.
- Pop into the oven for 2.5 – 3.5 hours.
- Read a book, binge watch Netflix or go to the gym while you wait. Be sure to keep an eye out after 2.5 hours so they don’t burn.
- Once done you can use them immediately or you can store them for future use.
Place tomatoes in a sealable container and submerge them in olive oil. You can add other ingredients such as garlic. Once done pop the lid on and refrigerate for up to a week.